July 13, 2015

What are D1, D2, D3 & D4 Adhesives?

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedIn

One question we are commonly asked is what the ‘D’ stands for when it comes to adhesives. Many people online find adhesives that look similar but then they see a ‘D2′ or a ‘D4′ next to them. This can seem like jargon but it is a quick way of noting different properties of an adhesive.

The D grading stands for durability.

These gradings are part of the European standard BS EN 204 governing the classification of wood glues for non-structural applications.

There are 4 main types of durability grading, running from D1 to D4. The differences between these are listed below:

  • D1 = Interior areas, where the temperature only occasionally exceeds 50°C for a short time and the moisture content of the wood is 15% maximum
  • D2 = Interior areas, with occasional short term exposure to running or condensed water and/or to occasional high humidity, provided the moisture content of the wood does not exceed 18%
  • D3 = Interior areas, with frequent short-term exposure to running or condensed water and/or heavy exposure to high humidity. Exterior areas not exposed to weather
  • D4 = Interior areas with frequent long-term exposure to running or condensed water. Exterior areas exposed to weather

For those interested in the classifications, the bond strength requirement for the different classes is listed below:

Wood Glue Classifications


We offer a range of products to suit these needs including:

Filed under Adhesives, Blog, Information Article by admin

Permalink Print